Saturday 20 July 2013

Swiss Tools Rainbow Allen Keys - Review


PB212L Rainbow Allen keys – Review
Product Code: PB 212.LH-10 RB
SwissTools

These Allen keys are the longest serving set of hex keys I have ever owned, the set includes 9 keys sized 1.5,2,2.5,3,4,5,6,8 and 10. {{PB Swiss Tools}} as a brand, are a high quality Swiss tooling manufacturer who have been producing a range of tools for over 130 years. They have such faith in their products that they provide an unlimited lifetime guarantee on everything they have ever produced. There is even a neat feature on the website which allows you to track when and where your individual tool was produced. Their tool replacement policy is available on the website but as I have never used it I am unable to offer any comment.



Pros:
General selection of Hex keys
Helpful colour coding aids in size selection when working
Incredibly tough
Powder coated
30° Bull end for angled use

Cons:
Possibly Cost - £42.98 Including delivery to UK
Price no object – None
Background: 
Hex keys or ‘Allen’ keys as they are often referred to are commonly used for all types of cap head and socket head screws. The name ‘Allen’ is thought to have originated from the ‘Allen Manufacturing Company of Hartford in Connecticut’ who are said to have been the first to invent the method of producing a Hex socket drive and where the first to patent the idea.

Review:
The ‘L’ shape as with most hex keys allows for either a deep reach approach to fasteners or for the keys to be used in a high leverage position.

“For the toughest rusted in fasteners its sometimes easier to loop the end of a spanner over the end of the hex key as shown to provide a bit of additional leverage to help loosen even the toughest bolts.”



I have owned this set of Allen keys for well over 10 years and they have been one of the bulwarks of my tool box. Despite all of the abuse I have given them even using then as levers they have never failed me or rounded off. The powder coating although scratched hasn’t even so much as flaked despite commonly being covered in oil and harsh degreasers. The signs of long use are visible, each key having its collection of minor grazes but that’s all and are showing many more years of life in them.


The colour identification of each key covers nearly the whole item bar the driving ends and is highly distinctive yet individual for each size. The vividness of the keys apart from being aesthetically pleasing also has other advantages; For instance, gone are the days looking for dull coloured Allen keys under benches which have been dropped the colours just pop right out even when covered in grime.

Another unexpected bonus of the colours is that if your working with a little helper then its far easier to say hand me the ‘Blue’ one or the ‘Yellow’ one than specifying sizes which is often followed by “which ones that”.

The plastic key holder is pretty standard, fit for purpose with no bells or whistles attached, I find this preferable to most of my other sets which fold in half and all sorts.


The set I have are equipped with a ball or bull end on the long leg of the ‘L’ I have always found this to be the best option opposed to two square ends. The bull end of each key allows for the key to be used at a variety of angles in tight spaces where the square ends sometimes have a problem getting a good seat. Bull ends are also better for fasteners which have suffered a bit of corrosion within the drive of the bolts as the rounded ends mean a small amount of crud build up won’t affect the tools seating ability.


Conclusion:

I judge this set of Allen keys to be the best I have ever owned and despite the higher price than some other options I would defiantly recommended them especially for their longevity. They would make a perfect present for any mechanically minded individual or professional and would last them a lifetime. I rate them even higher than my Teng 1479 set which is also a good product but somehow just don’t seem so tactile during use.

4 comments:

  1. My set is also now about 6 years old, been abused hammered overpowered and still I have not a bent, broken or even properly damaged the paint on one of these... However I do have 1 problem. I lost my 4mm aka golden allen key and in South Africa I can not find 1 anywhere to replace it with. BUT this is our shit country not the product failing!!!!

    FKN awesome product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The David Engineer such a nice post about Allen Keys, Thanks for Sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks You wrote awesome, I have learn lots of things from your Swiss Tools Rainbow Allen hex Keys. Its really helpful for any readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A dedication of appreciation is all together to share such a dumbfounding information.........
    pakistan long noes pliers

    ReplyDelete

I hope this review was helpful please feel free to leave comments below